Friday, June 23, 2006

Scooped!

At 7:05 pm last night, Steve text messaged to say they had boarded the plane.

"We are boarded and i have a window. There is a fussing baby in the seat in front of me - oh boy..."

Before he left, I had given my professional traveller's opinion on why window seats are preferrable for early morning or long flights where you want to sleep. The blanket makes a great pillow against the window and no fears of drooling on anyone other than yourself.

At 5:30 this morning I received a text message saying that they had made it and all is good.

Portillo convinced me to sleep a little longer and I thought for sure I would be the first to break the news that they had successfully made it.

No such luck - Der General scooped me already! He's at least one beer and a McDonald's down.

True American that he is - in the days prior to his travels, he went out of his way to have American fast food - a Big Mac from McDs and Chipoltle (who can pass up free burritos from the LaGrange Pet Parade).

As a side note - Portillo seems to be picking up that something is different. He's somewhat used to me being gone for business trips, but the big headed play toy that lives with us is always here :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Beth -

Yes - Portillo is actually more of an old German fellow type. I have heard others refer to living with a dachshund as equivalent to living with Hitler.

Chicagoans will understand the reference to Portillo's which is a italian beef/hot dog place that uses a weiner dog as its logo.

Kate said...

And, of course, being the good Chicago friend that I am, we took Bethie to Portillo's while she was here! :-)
I adore that photo of PT. The longing, the solitude--it's touching. Tee hee!

Der General said...

You guys are crazy don't buy into the little dogs demands. He is fine as long as he gets what he wants.