Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Different Approach to Packing

I live by lists - especially when I am packing to go on a trip. Steve also lives by lists - his just aren't nearly as detailed as mine.

For the past month, I have been nagging him to create a list of what he is bringing to Germany for the World Cup. I wasn't sure I was going to be in town in the days before he left - so I knew I would feel better if I had some sort of evidence that he was getting ready.

I found out last week that I would be here - but I asked that over the weekend he have all his stuff together so we weren't running around the day before looking for stuff (note: the foreshadowing). I even had the ladies at his work on my side to bug him about "Are you packed, yet?"

Somewhere in the midst of my nagging over the course of the last month, I inquired as to the location of both Steve's passport and his plane ticket. Given the moving we did, I wanted to be sure he had adequate time to locate both. To which he replied,

"Yes, I have my passport right here and I know where my tickets are."

Evidence would have been key here.

So last night at 11pm (less than 24 hours prior to departure), we are tearing apart the office looking for Steve's plane tickets. He became convinced that he had them upstairs in with other misc stuff. Since the electrical is cloth wiring upstairs, we do not turn on the lights upstairs for any period of time and have no lamps up there at all. So at 11:45 he was fishing through boxes with a flashlight in about 90 degree heat.

I was sorting through the piles of papers and trying not to lose my mind. At 11:50 when it seemed Steve was ready to "give up for the night" and find it in the morning, I asked him if it could possibly be in one of the binders he has on the bookshelf.

AHA - we had found it! I cermoniously shook his head to indicate how crazy he was making me and went off to bed.

I made the final trip to walgreens last night for the calling card, asprin and a travel toothbrush kit. I laid out all of the items he had strewn around the house for his trip. I woke him up this morning to have him start packing (many hours before he is actually headed to the airport). I even have a list of the final things he needs to get.

I think I have done all that I can!

4 comments:

Kate said...

You are too good to this man. :) I hope he realizes what he's got!

Brian said...

Hi Katie. This is Steve's friend, Brian. I skipped over to your site from his.

What a beautiful house!!!! Please be sure to invite Alison and me over. Alison just loves Queen Annes. And I'd like to take a look at the upstairs wiring and see if there's anything that I can do for you.

A word of advice from a former old-house owner: Go slow. Be patient with yourself. Try to keep the projects small. It's better to do 20 small projects than 3 big ones.

Also, as a fellow list-lover, make a list of all the things, big and little, that need to be done around the house. We organized our list by rooms. Then you get to see the progress that you're making as you check off items. It really increased our sense of accomplishment to see our items being checked off. And it gave us a sense of peace and control to have a place to put our nagging desires.

Warmest regards,
Brian

Katie said...

Brian -

Thanks! Steve has pushing for a project list since day 1. With the wedding taking up most of my mental capacity, I have been pushing off creation of the list until we can actually start doing much other than unpacking and existing.

The downstairs is very livable so we are taking a very calculated approach to moving upstairs. We literally (no pun intended) have a lifetime to get there!

Der General said...

OK enough without me. I am ready and able when I get back from Krautland.