Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wednesday April 5, 2006 Selling a Home

In my previous posts, I have eluded to Steve and I putting the townhouse up for sale and moving into 108 North (a house that has been in my family for almost a hundred years). Last night we had a potential buyer come back with his wife, who is 6 months pregnant with twins.

They love the place and we are looking forward to seeing if it will make sense to sell to them for financial and timing reasons. I am learning more and more about capital gains and taxes each day :) It is really great to be able to see people interested in your place, complimenting your decor and willing to pay money for your sweat equity. What threw me was when the wife asked if it was going to be hard to leave.

Her questions caught me off guard- I haven't had time to really think about it. I also needed to answer in a way that still makes them interested in buying our place. My initial reaction was - no, not really. I am ready to move on to the next chapter in our lives.

Since we starting moving things into 108 and planning out all the renovations that we will undertake in the next few years, all of my energy has been focused on looking forward. It has been fun to see the culmination of our efforts at the townhouse. I must say I might even try to keep the "empty counter" look going for awhile - but without pictures on the wall and little doodles (as Steve calls them) - it does not feel like our place anymore. It looks/feels like a model home/hotel where every morning I must put the shampoo back under the cabinet and take the toaster out to make my morning bagel.

In spite of it no longer feeling like our home and being ready for the next big phase, I am a little sad (and not just because I am no longer within walking distance of the mall). This is where Steve and I had many of our memories - putting in the wood floor, recently painting, chasing the dog around the dining room table (aka his little forest that he hids in on a regular basis).

I guess it is normal to feel that way about your home.