Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Jackpot!

In decorating our giant tree a few weeks ago, I realized that we did not have enough beaded chains. I investigated upstairs for some that were my grandparents and found not only chains but a few boxes of pictures that I have yet to go through. And now that I have a scanner - I can share a few.

It started with this picture in an album. I didn't recognize the name, but the stone on the church looked vaguely familiar. I also knew that my family at that time attended the Methodist church across the street from 108. Bingo - yes Ls - this is the church you were married in. If you look very closely, you can also see the side of 108 (it is easier to tell in the hard copy version).



I had seen this loose picture of a church and realized it was the same one and with a much better shot of the house! My guess is that this was also around the same time. It is hard to tell at first because the porch was not there yet and it looks like there were shutters.


This one is actually a much better shot of our neighbors house, but still very interesting to see the front door.
Finally, these last 2 show my Great, great grandparents and my great grandfather on the front steps. I dismissed these as being at someone else's house for several reasons until I had pieced together the others. Now my only question is finding out why 108 came to be the address. This picture shows 128......128 North? just doesn't sound as good to me either.....

2 comments:

Jason and Heather said...

Very cool pictures! I wish I could find some old pictures of our house, maybe they would answer a few of the million questions I have...

In doing the research at the courthouse for our house I found out that the address used to be 306 until the 50's. It's now 402. Who knows why they change addresses over time.

Katie said...

Thanks Jason and Heather for the comment and for the link from your site!

It is amazing to have all of the pieces come together at once. We are also counting on getting more pictures from the 2 local churches by us. We are on a corner and 2 of the other corners are churches that were built in the early 1800s.