Friday, December 22, 2006

It is a Wonderful Life

One of the benefits of living in an our home is that I get to relive Christmas memories from years past including a real, big tree. I tried to explain to Steve that "the house" required a real tree of 8-9 feet. Anything else just didn't seem sufficient. That is part of why we ended up with "Frank".

Granted in the last few years my grandparents celebrated they switched to a slightly smaller fake tree - but most of my memories here include a real tree that took up most of the bay window.

We were also fortunate enough to incorporate some of the older decorations. This included the tree mat which used to be stored under the rug and has Santa Claus on it.

I also found an ornament which my grandmother had bequeathed to me. Her exact words written on the box "My will - Fred blue clown, Katie and Jill pink clowns". Unfortunately one the pink clowns didn't make it, so instead in the box for Jill was her absolute favorite decoration - the glass teddy bear. When I showed this to my sis before she left for her holiday in Costa Rica, the ornament brought tears to her eyes. And the to me is what the holidays are about.

Since I started this post pre-Xmas and it is now 3 days after Christmas- somehow I have lost the nostalgic feeling when I started this. Steve and I did end up watching his favorite holiday movie "It's A Wonderful Life" one night, which will be added to the list of Grosskopf family holiday traditions.

Happy Holidays from 108!

No comments: