Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I get phone calls ......for dead people

One of the things about living in a house that has been in the family for a while - is that most if not all of your utilities bills may in fact be in the names of relatives who are no longer with us.

Getting our names on the bills - is changing this week as we officially have a mortgage as of tomorrow. In the meantime - it is awkward to have someone call and ask for your grandmother who has been dead for 8 years.

When I first lived in the house only a year after my grandpa passed, it was hard to get calls and mail for him because it reminded me of him. As time passed the calls lessoned and having my name on the phone bill has certainly made an impact.

It seems like some of the charities are going off of old phone lists. When we get calls for picking up donated goods, I have to resist saying "no, she's no longer with us."

Many of the marketing materials that come to the house just say "Residents at..." so you are never quite sure if it is a mass mailing or targeted to some demographic.

I did for a time get mail with my name on it for funeral homes, senior living, being cremeated, etc - which I can only assume was due to having my grandparents demographic info mixed with my name. I can assure you - I mainly got dating service ads when I was at the townhouse.

So what prompted this post? I received a reminder phone call the other day for a pick-up of a donation. The woman completely skipped over asking for one of my deceased relatives and went directly to "Is your mom there?"

Given what I described above - I am ready for people calling and asking for just about anybody - but my mom, really do I sound that young. So I guess in addition to clearing up names associated with the house, I am also going to have to work on sounding like I am older than 12.

No comments: