Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Tuesday April 4, 2006 - Neglecting My Blog

So in my head, the purpose of a blog is to write about what is going on in your world or an opportunity to voice your opinion on what's going on in the world in general. The problem with using this forum is a sounding board is that when stuff is going on that people might actually care to read about - you have not the time or the desire to run to your laptop and write.

Case and point - it's been a jam-packed two weeks. Steve and I learned that it is one thing to say "we're going to put our house on the market on April 1st" and a totally different experience to put it on craigslist.org, stick a sign in our yard and have people actually want to come see it.

We both needed that extra push to make sure that we were ready on April 1 - but it was more stressful than it needed to be. We made it though - paint is done, rooms are staged, clutter is gone and the garage even looks put together. We ended up having more potential buyers than we expected at a first open house on Saturday. Our marketing was limited to an email to friends and family with a flyer (in addition to the sign and craigslist).

Putting your number out there for the world means that you now get bombarded with calls from real estate agents who want to know how you could possibly consider selling on your own without them and their requisite commission. At first I was caught off guard with their line of questioning. When I adamently told one that "NO, I don't want to make more money.", Steve informed me that I needed to be nicer to them. You never know if one will bring us a potential buyer. After the second or third call with the same line questioning, I was much better at both playing nice and not giving them much room to "sell" to me.

We have one of the visitors from the open house stopping by again tonight with his wife who is 6 months pregnant (with TWINS). So we are taking this as a positive sign, but planning to kick the marketing efforts into higher gear this week and have another open house this Sunday.

Steve and I keep joking that it almost feels like we are in the middle of some Apprentice challenge in which each of us passing out flyers on the street. Details to follow if it comes to that.

In other way more exciting news - Kate and BJ had a baby girl, Zoe, on Mon. March 27th. She is beautiful! This is another example of blogging and the timing issue. I didn't realize how much I relied on Katie's blog to find out how the pregnancy was going. In my head I must have pictured her blogging in the delivery room, because all the sudden my link in to the world of pregnancy was appropriately cut off (temporarily mind you). Leave it to Katie to have pictures posted within 24 hours of being released from the hospital! Incredible!

So let's just say that if I keep up my blogging until that point - it would be great if we could hire a personal blogger to keep my blogs recent when I am out of pocket actually doing the things worth blogging about :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for the feedback secret general - what an interesting and mysterious name :)

Unfortunately, Portillo's cuteness (particularly when he stares out the window from the back of the couch) is not enough to sustain a blog. I think he may need to learn a few more tricks or start a blog of his own

Kate said...

I love the personal blogger idea--especially as I type this one-handed while I nurse Zoe! :)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work 9560 cobra detector esd radar Valtrex for the treatment of herpes http://www.computer-science-6.info/Free-sample-zybanfree-asmple-zyban.html Trouble with a 1992 pontiac grand am cost fioricet low Crack r undelete download Topeka phone book commercial property insurance definitions Information about breast augmentation information on breast http://www.gameboy-emulator-games-for-windows.info/Lipitor.html Order lipitor on line Drug ativan Lipitor http www.spacedoc.net lipitor.htm Diagnosis of thyroid cancer create pda programs Oxycontin price Auto vacuum cleaner lipitor cooking schools Mazda timing marks