Friday, January 12, 2007

Maps...

After posting about the Sanborn maps I found yesterday and then doing a little research to decode the map key, I realized how strange it was to suddenly be learning so much about maps in my quest to better understand the house.

It reminded me of a guy I dated (pre-Steve). We met on the train and when I asked him what he did - he said he was a cartographer. I consider myself a pretty educated person - but I had to be honest. I had not a clue what a cartographer was. So I asked. He politely explained that cartography is the process of map making.

I went blank. I had nothing. The only thing I could muster to say was, "well everybody needs maps I guess". It was the best I could do considering in my head it sounded like the most uninteresting profession ever. I am the worst at feigning interest in something I know nothing about.

So the relationship didn't last and before long I met Steve. Fortunately, Recruiter/Career Advisor was much easier for me to make conversation about. But perhaps I could have benefited from listening to the cartographer.....

Note 1: For those unaware (as I was) the Sanborn maps were fire and insurance maps that were used to map out houses, buildings, fire hydrants, etc.

Note 2: An even older map has shown that pre-1900 the house number was 605, but I think we will keep with 108 North - it just has a nice ring to it.

No comments: