Thursday, December 14, 2006

Making the fat hurt....

I am not one for making new year's resolutions (or having any expectation of keeping them). I also wasn't one of those brides who was fasting or living at the gym the weeks before her wedding. In fact, I distinctly remember thinking that changing my diet or exercising would not allow me to "maintain" the size I was when I was fitted for my dress.

Let's just overlook the fact that during my engagement I had been traveling for work and probably had put on a few pounds. Needless to say, my dress fit perfect.

Post-wedding, since I was going to be in town for at least a few months we made an investment to join the Y which happens to be 2 blocks from our house. I say investment not because of the cost, but the mental commitment to actually....dare I say it....work out.

So we are on our 2nd month and some weeks we do better than others, but I am actually really enjoying it for a few reasons.

1. Steve and I get out of the house together and although talking on the treadmill is somewhat limited - the walk there is usually a nice "catch up on the day" time
2. They have tvs with closed caption where I can watch the shows I would watch at home anyway - but I am not really into (ie Office, Grey's Anatomy and few others must be watched in the comfort of my home).
3. The facility is older and hence does not attract the more serious workout freaks - a few high schoolers and NCC kids but for the most part it is people like us who are definitely not training for the Iron Man or anything. This alone makes it easier to go and feel like less of a sloth.
4. And of course the obvious health benefits of exercising.

The last few weeks I have started pushing myself towards a goal, which I now feel compelled to document as a way of keeping myself on track. The goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes and while that may not break any records it is big deal for someone who started walking 3 miles in just under 1 hour.

So Tuesday night I got my time to 38 m 40 s. Unfortunately I am sort of negligent on the whole stretching thing so by the next morning I was very sore - especially my stomach. I expected the legs to hurt - but this was weird.

Last night when I got back on the treadmill, I figured it out. It was from my stomach bouncing when I run....it was official "my fat hurt". Although I was not able to beat my time from the previous night, it solidified my drive to reach my goal.

My hope is that in time there will be less fat to hurt...we shall see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"My fat hurts me!" Jeanne had no idea how her words would resonate.

Good luck! If you're ever up for hoofin' it to Oswego for a friendly group jiggle session, we'd love to have you.